St. Mark's Library
The St. Mark's Library is managed by St. Lawrence Library and Archives Committee (SLLAC). It is divided into two sections; about half the library is located in the Parish Hall and contains materials with broad parish appeal, readily available for browsing; the second half is located in the lower level conference room and is primarily resource an reference material.
The library is organized more like a bookstore than a traditional library. The library table in the Parish Hall posts a complete list of categories and directions for borrowing books. There is a card catalogue in the Parish Hall where most books are listed by both author and subject.
The library is a ministry both of the parish and for the parish. From time to time, the library sponsors a parish read or circulates articles pertinent to parish life. Library purchase requests are filled as often as possible, and donations are welcome.
Though we are not certain when the library was established, we know that it was originally dedicated to Fr. Samuel McPhetres, rector of St. Mark's from 1930-1939. Sometime later, Alice Wilson took it over and moved the library from the basement into the Parish Hall. In her honor, Fr. Andrew Cooley renamed the library "The Alice Wilson Memorial Library." Since Alice's tenure, several parishioners have looked after the library.
Circulation today is active, a testimony to the fact that we are a parish of readers.
St. Lawrence Library & Archives Committee (SLLAC) Mission:
In addition to managing the library, the SLLAC is charged with parish archiving, honoring and recording memorial gifts, and keeping our stories alive.